25 Hospitalized in Utah Elementary School: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Published:1:06 pm EDT, November 18, 2013| Updated:5:26 pm EDT, November 18, 2013|
By

A carbon monoxide leak caused by a water heater that malfunctioned over the weekend led to 25 people being hospitalized and many others being ill, reports The Salt Lake Tribune.

Here's what you need to know:


1. 2 People Are Critical

The Carbon Monoxide made more than 20 people ill, there were no deaths reported. As of the afternoon of November 18 all but two people, a student and a teacher, were reported to be in good condition.

Multiple medical choppers responded to the scene. In total, 13 people were transported to hospital, reports Fox 13.


2. The School is Located in the Navajos Nation

The school is the center of education for 500 Navajos in San Juan County.


3. The School Had to Call Twice Before Medical Assistance Responded

According to the San Juan County Sheriff's department, the school made the first call about people feeling sick at 9:30 a.m. local time. The school called again ten minutes later claiming the situation was getting more serious.


4. The Cause of the Leak Was From a Propane Tank

Local officials say that the cause of the leak was from the school's propane tank. The tanks was the school's source of heat. The tank malfunctioned over the weekend and filled the school with the lethal gas, according to the San Juan School district.


5. The Sheriff's Office Have Gagged the Hospital

The Salt Lake Tribune reports that the San Juan County Sheriff has told the hospital treating the sick children not to give information to the media.

Related Items ,

Respond to this

More News you need to know