Francis Ford Coppola disappeared into the jungle for a few years, lost his mind and emerged with this surrealist masterpiece, a film that might even be the superior of his much-celebrated Godfather films (the first two, anyway, but we probably didn't need to make that distinction). Apocalypse Now takes Joseph Conrad's novella, Heart of Darkness, and turns it into not so much a "Vietnam movie" but a harrowing portrait of madness -- rarely has a film felt so unrelentingly nightmarish and foreboding, and from the very first frame, at that. Captain Willard (Martin Sheen, who had a damn heart attack while making this thing) travels down the river on a mission to kill the rogue Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando), a journey that reveals a physical and moral wasteland that becomes more and more unraveled the closer the boat gets to its final destination -- a secluded village where Kurtz is worshipped as a mad god. Somewhat unfortunately, this was probably Coppola's last truly great film as a director‚ but most directors never even make one movie as brilliant as this one. This Redux version, released in 2001, restores 49 minutes worth of footage that was deleted from the original 1979 theatrical cut; the new scenes are curiosity pieces at best and don't serve to make the film either better or worse -- just longer.
Tech You Need to Know
- How to Watch the 2014 TED Talks From the Comfort of Your Own Home
- Top 5 Best New Dating Apps for iPhone & Android
- WATCH: Video Guide to New Features in iOS 7.1
- Top 5 Best Features in the New iOS 7.1
- iOS 7.1 Secret & Hidden Features: ‘Switch Control,’ New Siri & More
- TED Talks 2014: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Yik Yak Chat App: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- iOS 7.1 Released: When & How You Can Download It
- People Selling Organs on Facebook: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- WIN: Apple’s iPad Mini With Retina Display!
- Neil Young’s PonoMusic: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- ‘True Detective’ Finale Causes HBO Go Crash: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- How to Watch Adam Savage Speak at SXSW 2014
- How to Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson at SXSW 2014
- How to Create and Share Word Files and Spreadsheets Using Google Drive
New On Netflix: Apocalypse Now Redux
Published:10:30 am EDT, December 14, 2011| Updated:10:09 am EDT, December 14, 2011|
By Bryan Enk
By Bryan Enk
Sign up for Heavy's daily email and never miss out on our popular stories.
More Netflix you need to know