An anthology film that probably looked a lot better on paper, Four Rooms features four talented directors slumming it as they each tell a story taking place in a different room of a five-star hotel on New Year's Eve, all linked by an ever-mugging, cartoonish bellhop named Ted (Tim Roth, slumming as well). Allison Anders' "The Missing Ingredient" has a coven of witches checking into the Honeymoon Suite to perform a ritual to reverse a curse put on their goddess; the "missing ingredient" for their potion is semen, and one guess as to who they get it from. Alexandre Rockwell's (wait, who?) "The Wrong Man" has Ted being forced to participate in a fantasy hostage situation between a weirdo husband and wife (David Proval and Jennifer Beals), a scenario that involves the bellhop narrowly missing someone's vomit coming from the floor above (as you can see, this film is truly the epitome of good taste). Speaking of vomit, Ted explosively upchucks when he sees what he describes as a "dead WHORE!" in the bed of Room 309 in Robert Rodriguez's "The Misbehavers," the director's pre-Spy Kids portrait of youngsters getting into grown-up trouble (which features a fun, Gomez Addams-style performance by Antonio Banderas as their dashing father). The worst of the four stories takes place in the Penthouse: Quentin Tarantino's "The Man From Hollywood" is a rambling, obnoxious endurance test featuring a movie star (Tarantino himself, ugh) and his entourage indulging in alcohol- and coke-fueled bets with rather macabre conditions. Tarantino and Rodriguez would later find much greater success with their drive-in double bill, Grindhouse; everyone else stayed far away from any variation on this type of format following this disaster.
Tech You Need to Know
- How to Create and Share Word Files and Spreadsheets Using Google Drive
- WIN: Apple’s iPad Mini With Retina Display!
- Vine Bans Porn: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Google Play Store Celebrates Second Birthday With App Sales & Discounts on Games
- Tickle App Is Not Real: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Samsung’s Milk Music Streaming Service: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- How to Block Unwanted Facebook Posts
- The ‘Real’ Satoshi Nakamoto: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- How to Setup GoogolPlex and Let Siri Access Your Apps
- WATCH: Satoshi Nakamoto Denies Creating Bitcoin
- How to Take a Mac Screenshot in 3 Ways
- Top 5 Android App Updates You Need to Know About
- Top 5 Best Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Videos
- WATCH: Tony Hawk Apologizes for HUVr Board Prank Video
- Oscar Mayer Bacon iPhone App: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
New On Netflix: Four Rooms
Published:10:45 am EST, July 26, 2011| Updated:11:32 am EST, October 6, 2011|
By Bryan Enk
By Bryan Enk
Sign up for Heavy's daily email and never miss out on our popular stories.
More Netflix you need to know