Gore Verbinski's surreal fable mourning the decline of the Old West makes for one of the best Westerns in recent years; the fact that it's animated and features cute (and sometimes not so cute) animals just makes it all the more unique and bittersweet. Rango (Johnny Depp) is a pet lizard prone to theatricality and tall tales who suddenly finds himself on a real-life adventure when a bump (or, rather, an armadillo) in the road separates him from his human family; now stranded in the desert, he makes his way to the town of Dirt, an old Western town populated by various animals suffering from a severe drought, the cause of which stinks of conspiracy and political corruption. Branded the town's sheriff after dispatching with a murderous hawk (by way of sheer luck), Rango sets out to fix the town's water problem, an endeavor which pits him against a rogue band of moles and prairie dogs (who specialize in air attacks thanks to being adept at riding bats) -- and the notorious Rattlesnake Jake (Bill Nighy), whose rattler has been replaced with a deadly gattling gun. Some of the action set pieces here rival those in Verbinski's Pirates of the Caribbean films, particularly a hair-raising desert chase scene involving the aforementioned bat-riding critters; a few bizarre dream sequences also recall the stunning, stark imagery of the limbo-set first act of At World's End, making for a particularly rich and occasionally subversive animated feature that might be that much more for adults than for children.
Tech You Need to Know
- How to Watch Adam Savage Speak at SXSW 2014
- How to Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson at SXSW 2014
- How to Create and Share Word Files and Spreadsheets Using Google Drive
- WIN: Apple’s iPad Mini With Retina Display!
- Vine Bans Porn: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Google Play Store Celebrates Second Birthday With App Sales & Discounts on Games
- Tickle App Is Not Real: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Samsung’s Milk Music Streaming Service: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- How to Block Unwanted Facebook Posts
- The ‘Real’ Satoshi Nakamoto: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- How to Setup GoogolPlex and Let Siri Access Your Apps
- WATCH: Satoshi Nakamoto Denies Creating Bitcoin
- How to Take a Mac Screenshot in 3 Ways
- Top 5 Android App Updates You Need to Know About
- Top 5 Best Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Videos
New On Netflix: Rango
Published:10:30 am EST, April 9, 2012| Updated:12:01 pm EST, April 24, 2012|
By Bryan Enk
By Bryan Enk
Sign up for Heavy's daily email and never miss out on our popular stories.
More Netflix you need to know