A documentary not just for those who like to post pictures of what they're eating on Facebook, El Bulli: Cooking in Progress offers a look behind the curtain of El Bulli, the legendary (and now defunct) restaurant near the Costra Brava shore, just north of Barcelona. Thankfully, director Gereon Wetzel lets the fact that we can't smell or taste his movie work for him rather than against him as he avoids the rambunctious food-porn methods embraced by most cooking shows (and other, lesser docs), instead going for a respectful fly-on-the-all approach as we watch head chef Ferran Adria and his team work their magic. El Bulli, a surprisingly cozy and modest restaurant that seats 50 and got over a million reservation requests a year, is (was) famed for its experimental, almost supernatural dishes served from only July-December; from January-June, Adria and his minions toil away in their kitchen/laboratory, whipping up the weirdest possible ideas and then seeing if it actually tastes any good. El Bulli: Cooking in Progress is a quietly fascinating examination of culinary oddities and the talented artisans with the time and resources to make them happen; it also can't resist going the food-as-orgasm route in its last few minutes as it presents the entire menu in a series of mouth-watering close-ups.
Tech You Need to Know
- WATCH: iPhone Air Concept Video – Is This the New iPhone 6?
- WATCH: Amazing iPhone 6 Concept Video Predicts New Features
- Craziest iPhone 6 Features: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- iPhone 6 Price & Release Date: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- WATCH: President Obama Introduces COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey
- Katie Couric Tumblr Interview With Bloomberg: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- How to Watch the 2014 TED Talks From the Comfort of Your Own Home
- Top 5 Best New Dating Apps for iPhone & Android
- WATCH: Video Guide to New Features in iOS 7.1
- Top 5 Best Features in the New iOS 7.1
- iOS 7.1 Secret & Hidden Features: ‘Switch Control,’ New Siri & More
- TED Talks 2014: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Yik Yak Chat App: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- iOS 7.1 Released: When & How You Can Download It
- People Selling Organs on Facebook: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
New On Netflix: El Bulli: Cooking in Progress
Published:10:30 am EDT, April 12, 2012| Updated:12:01 pm EDT, April 24, 2012|
By Bryan Enk
By Bryan Enk
Sign up for Heavy's daily email and never miss out on our popular stories.
More Netflix you need to know