PopCap Games has upgraded its gems-matching mobile puzzler several times over the past couple of years. One of the freshest spins on the Bejeweled formula is Bejeweled Blitz. This iteration of the Match-Three puzzle game adds on new gem maneuvers, a classic/speed version, special gems etc. Veterans know just how to make the most of their score in past games and this upgraded version, but we know some of you beginners out there are still having some trouble grasping this change to the formula.
Here's a list of 10 game-changing tips that will make your gem-matching abilities a bit stronger.
1. Start Moving Some Gems Before The Word "GO!"
As soon as you see those gems pop up on the screen, start moving them around before the word "GO!" pops up on the screen. This early start helps in so may ways. You'll find out that your early moves will save you some precious seconds when it comes to completing Speed version levels.
2. Know About All Your New Powers/Abilities
As you earn coins, you'll be able to cash them in for different powerup's that can be used in your next three played games. Squidoo.com listed the boosts you'll be purchasing for those higher score outputs:
- The Mystery Gem gives you a random special gem from the start!
- Detonators are like the Last Hurrah, but you can trigger them at any time in the game to clear out a swath of special gems!
- Reshufflers give you a chance to freshen up the board if you're stuck!
- Five More Seconds is... five more seconds! How much more do we need to say?
- Multiplier Kickstarts give you a multiplier gem from the get-go, so your score can rocket up even faster!
3. Here's What Makes Bejeweled Blitz Different From Past Entries
Squidoo.com also posted some details on what makes Bejeweled Blitz stands out from the rest of the games in the series:
- You can now swap gems while other gems are falling elsewhere in the field, saving precious seconds.
- Power Gems have been split into two new types of gems: Fire Gems (Which explode just like the power gems we already know and love) and Star Gems (Which destroy both the row and the column they lay in!) Star Gems are made from those odd T and L-shaped pairings that used to just give you Power Gems before.
- Blazing Speed is a minigame-within-a minigame mode that allows you to put that Speed bonus to good use, and now EVERY pairing you make on the board explodes!
- And finally (we mean it!), there's the Last Hurrah, which takes all those gems you used to just waste at the end of the minute, and counts all unexploded fire gems, star gems, hypercubes, and multipliers to your score -- as well as any final cascades they cause in the process!
4. Always Stay Active for That Speed Bonus
In order to take full advantage of your Speed Bonus, never stop moving your gems around. The best way to getting a higher score and Speed Bonus is by constantly trying to match some gems. Even if you don't readily spot a matching opportunity, go ahead and move another match elsewhere. Speed Bonuses max out at 1000 points, so every time you clear some gems off the board you'll grab 1,000 points for each one. Bejeweled Blitz is a commanding game that pushed you to keep a constant pace. STAY ACTIVE!
5. The Audio Will Help You Catch on That Active Speed Bonus
When you're matching up all those beautiful gems, pay attention to the sounds that emit after you make some good moves. You'll hear all types of noises that notify you about your speed bonus increases and the appearance of multiplier gems. When you hear a higher-pitched noise emit from your mobile device, you'll know for sure that your Speed Bonus is now active.
6. Invest in Three Essential Boosts Before You Start Playing
Before you start up any game, use some of those well-earned coins and cop these boosters - the Plus Five Seconds boost, the Detonator and the Scrambler. The first boost is a passive boost that you won't have to manually active during play. As for the last two boosters, use them in conjunction with Phoenix Prisms for higher scores. So what we're really saying is - use these three boosts alongside your Phoenix Prism's.
7. Daily Spins = More Coins!
Try to log-in everyday if you're really ready to take over this game's leaderboard. Take advantage of your daily spin's and you'll eventually be swimming in coins. Those coins help you buy all those useful powerup's and boosts and keep your real money in your real live wallet. Hit them spin's and cash out!
8. Cat's Eyes and Phoenix Prism's Will Net You Higher Scores
A dedicated player from Yahoo's Voices blog explained the correct usage of cat's eyes and phoenix prism's:
When you're ready to rock a high score, purchase the Phoenix Prism rare gem at the next opportunity. Activate the gem in-game at every time you are able to do so. In my experience, you have the most point-earning potential using the Phoenix Prism. After your game, you may get the opportunity to purchase another prism at a reduced price. This can happen at least two times. Take advantage of the opportunity-this is why you've saved your coins! It gives you an extra chance to win. Other helpful gems include Cat's Eye and Blazing Steed. While those are useful, I've never achieved a weekly high score with them-only with the Phoenix Prism.
9. Maximize Your Four Gem Combos By Saving Them
Imore.com made sure to provide some tips for those patient players out there who're looking for the right time to activate four-gem combos:
As most Bejeweled Blitz users already know, creating a chain of 4 gems will give you a special gem that detonates the gems around it. Instead of detonating these right away, I always save them for as long as I possibly can so I have a ton of them left on the board. Try to avoid detonating them at all costs and work on increasing your overall multiplier before even thinking about detonating them. You'll be glad you did when you've got a cascading burst of gems detonating at 8x your original score!
10. Here's What You Need to Know About the Ignition Meter, Blazing Speed and Star Medals
CoolAppsMan.com listed everything you need to know about the items mentioned above:
- Unlock the Ignition Meter by reaching a Speed Bonus of 1,000 points.
- Once you fill the Ignition Meter you will unlock Blazing Speed. With Blazing Speed every matched gem acts as a Special Flame Gem for about five seconds.
- Receive Star Medals by reaching at least 25,000 points (awarded in intervals of 25,000 up to 250,000 and then in intervals of 50,000 up to 500,000).
If you have any extra tips and cheats you'd like to contribute to fellow Bejeweled Bltz players, throw them in the comments section!